Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Are we as bad as the bad guys now???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Are we as bad as the bad guys now???

    I'm not trying to say that the US is akin to Iraq or any other country thats been bad for violating human rights and such, but I fear that we're heading into dangerous territory.

    I mean when you get an article like this (mainstream--yahoo)

    U.S. Rejects U.N. Report on Gitmo

    GENEVA - The United States should shut down the prison for terror suspects at Guantanamo Bay and either release the detainees or put them on trial, the United Nations said in a report released Thursday. The world body also called on the United States to refrain from practices that "amount to torture." The White House rejected the recommendation to shut the prison. "These are dangerous terrorists that we're talking about that are there," spokesman Scott McClellan said.



    My question is are we any better? We complain that these other countries didn't give into the world collective when the UN issues statements against them, no matter their protests, but here we are doing the same thing and it all is ok.

    Look I love my country, I love the US but how are we exactly being better than the other countries. We can say we're not doing it to innocents and try to make ourselves feel better, but I'll give you good odds that we are, maybe not the majority but you and I all know that there is some caught in the web who may not be guilty of anything directly.

    I'm sorry, our direction is really scareing me.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Houndman's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2005
    Posts
    422
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Are we as bad as the bad guys now???

    I don't put much stock in the UN. I not sure we should release them just to protect the "web". If we take the liberal point of view we may not have a country in the future. All major empires of the past have fallen from within and I wonder if we aren't following that route. The terrorists are a type of people who have no regard for life, not even their on. So I say that if some few are caught in web not directly that to hold them does not violate human rights. Again, I have no faith in the UN.
    Lives of great men all remind us as their pages o'er we turn, that we're apt to leave behind us letters that we ought to burn.-----Anonymous

  3. #3
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Are we as bad as the bad guys now???

    I don't think that we should just all of a sudded release them back into the world....but I do believe that their trial proceedings should be expediated and that the US should not be the only country involved in the trial.
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Are we as bad as the bad guys now???

    I guess my thing is, other countries always reject UN proposals or orders and we suddenly turn into a great champion of the UN, talking about how they make a clear mandate, etc. Now it seems that the roles are reversed, and we are doing almost the same type of thing.

    I guess it seems like we're having our cake and eating it too. The UN is great as long as we agree, then they are wrong and we shouldn't listen to them when we don't agree.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Are we as bad as the bad guys now???

    yeah that seems to be the case. I think that the US has gotten to be so power hungry that the intents of our forefathers have now been passed to the back of the room and manifest destiny is now our objective.
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_biggamesjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2004
    Posts
    1,410
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Are we as bad as the bad guys now???

    Well you are not going to agree with anyone all of the time...most of the time the U.S. and U.N. have a pretty decent relationship. Lets face it without the U.S. the U.N. would probably not exist. There are going to be differences on occasion with any two governmental bodies but overrall I think the U.S. is in good standing with the U.N. You have to change a little from the old traditional tactics to a degree when you are dealing with terrorists/militant Islam and I think the U.N. doesn't totally understand that yet. The U.S. is adopting an approach more similar to the hard line Israeli tactics and moving away from the politically correct liberal ideaology of dealing with terrorist criminals. I applaud the direction we are moving in. We can't afford to play kindergarten cop with all these jokers.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Are we as bad as the bad guys now???

    I couldn't disagree a bit.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  8. #8
    Inactive Member lpd05's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2005
    Posts
    257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Are we as bad as the bad guys now???

    Amendment VI
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been commited, which district shall have been previously ascertained by the law; and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Conunsel for his defence.

    Amendment VII
    In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

    This is should not be a political issue. 95% of those guys held in Cuba are guilty. Put them on trial and sentence them. If the Democrats were denying the accused a speedy trial by jury, then shame on the Democrats. Right now, the Republicans (who control every branch of government at this time) are to blame. I hear something new everday that makes me wonder where we went wrong?
    Clintwood Greenwave
    Back-to-Back Region D Champions
    2008 LPD Champions

    "State in '08"


  9. #9
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Are we as bad as the bad guys now???

    They are not standard criminals- Bush declared war on "Terrorism" it gives us freedom to shoot on sight. Untill the "war" is declared over, they don't have rights. This is one of my biggest reasons for wanting better footing before starting a "war". The US should have leveled Iraq, the US public will never stand for that kind of mission, leaving the troops to police a hostile country as best they can. If the terrorists are using the deaths of the Iraqis to drag more of them into the fight then all they have to do is start shooting in a crowd. We will never be able to free a group of people that don't want freedom, sure they want for their own little group, same as Saddam. But then it comes to being a "ruling" party again. If the bunch in Gitmo has offended, keep'em there forever. It isn't any different than the Germans or the Japs. And you will recall the leaders that Bush said were running the war in Iraq were the same that blasted the towers and still make their threats.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member imported_biggamesjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2004
    Posts
    1,410
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Are we as bad as the bad guys now???

    "This is should not be a political issue. 95% of those guys held in Cuba are guilty. Put them on trial and sentence them. If the Democrats were denying the accused a speedy trial by jury, then shame on the Democrats. Right now, the Republicans (who control every branch of government at this time) are to blame. I hear something new everday that makes me wonder where we went wrong?"

    They are enemy combatants...they should not be afforded a trial by jury. They should be sentenced by military tribunal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •